Originally published by armstone.com / Modified by envirospecinc.com
Using paver pedestals for paver support is the ideal solution to your home improvement challenge. In our blog today, we will list 10 advantages of installing a pedestal system for paving slabs and their common uses.
Whether you are building a new home or renovating one, there is a high likelihood that you will come across areas in the front or backyard that are uneven. Alternatively, whether it’s because you need wheelchair access, have a young family or eldery visitors, you might want to create an even pathway between your home and the yard without unnecessary footholds or steps.
What is a Paver Pedestal System?
A paver pedestal installation system like PAVE-EL pedestals can be stacked to level an uneven surface for paving purposes. Once the pedestals are installed on the ground, you can lay the pavers directly them. Since the pedestals provide spacing, your pavers will stay apart and your completed floors will be raised and even.
Whether you use PAVE-EL pedestal system with tiles, pavers, or timber decking, you will be able to compensate for a slope of up to 5%. You can create raised floors on a variety of locations from your front and backyard all the way to balconies, terraces, green roofs and even water features.
Why should you use a Pedestal System?
Pedestal paving is used for a few main reasons, namely:
- Improving rapid drainage – As the pavers have gap between each other when installed on the pedestals, rainfall can easily fall through this space onto the surface underneath. So, instead of the water gathering on the raised floor and pavers, it swiftly drains towards the appropriate areas underneath the pedestals.
- Simplifies surface leveling when installing floors – Most outdoor areas have parts that are not leveled or even. This does not make an ideal foundation for creating a quality, sturdy or even safe, floor. If you have any experience with leveling surfaces, you will know that it’s a laborious task involving digging, laying cement, and installing timber support posts. On the other hand, you can forgo all of this by using PAVE-EL Pedestals. Not only does it save you cost and labour efforts, but it achieves a better result creating a levelled, anti-slip and noise reducing floor.
- Increasing safety and aesthetics by hiding outdoor wiring – In the case that your balcony or backyard have additional lighting, plumbing, wiring and electrical requirements, installing floating pavers creates a gap between the floor and underlying surface. This allows a ‘storage space’ (so to speak) underneath the flooring where you can hide the cabling, ducting, or wiring and yet have easy access to it (should you require it). From a general aesthetics perspective, this makes your space more attractive because the clutter is out of sight and, out of mind.
8 advantages of installing raised pedestal systems
As well as the three main reasons listed above, there are 8 additional advantages for using PAVE-EL to raise your floors in your home. These include:
1. Acoustic Insulation
As our paver supports have a dual component that includes both an anti-slip and an anti-noise head, they are extremely helpful in reducing the sound of impact. What does this mean for you? Well, if you have a lot of people coming and going in and out of the home, using floating pavers helps to reduce the noise pollution.
2. Absorption of Structural Movement
Environmental factors are a fundamental factor that causes wear and tear in natural pavers and tiles over time. Extreme cold makes stones contract, while extreme heat causes expansion. When pavers are installed directly onto the surface, there is no allowance for them to move as freely which can cause them to crack and become damaged with too much exposure to the elements. Using pedestal systems for paving slabs means that the floor is floating and thus independent of adhesion. This allows for an ease in structural movements and also eliminates the risk of debonding due to improper installation and/or tile movement.
3. High Strength and Resistance
PAVE-EL Pedestals ensure that your project is sustainable and long-lasting, as it can bear the heavy load of different pavers.
4. Entirely Recyclable
With environmental consciousness on the rise, many are extremely aware of their carbon footprint. So, if you are interested in reducing your impact on the environment, consider using a paver system. Why? Well firstly, it’s entirely recyclable and secondly, because it doesn’t need to be fixed to a substrate with an adhesive, no chemicals are released into the ground. It’s really a win-win-win for everyone involved.
5. Improved Thermal Insulation
As the pedestals create space between the pavers and the ground surface, this allows for constant air circulation. Consequently, this improves the heat insulation while simultaneously protecting the ground surface from UV degradation and extending the lifespan of the waterproofing.
6. Time Effective Installation and Low Weight
Pressed for time and funding for your outdoor flooring project? Floating pavers to the rescue! Since the pedestals themselves are easy to adjust and you don’t need to level the surface, you can simply start your project with minimal (if any) site preparation and without disrupting any nearby projects.
Additionally, with the minimal installation products required, pedestal systems offer a lightweight solution to building floors. Subsequently, this translates to a lower project cost and higher savings for you.
7. Design Flexibility
As PAVE-EL allows for the tiles and pavers to be placed atop the pedestals, this means that pavers can be easily removed and changed. This promotes design flexibility and is helpful if you like to regularly change the floor style.
8. Eliminated Efflorescence
Efflorescence – the buildup of salt on a porous surface – is a major concern when installing pavers or tiles on the ground surface. But since raised pedestal systems do not require tiling grout or screed, this eliminates the concern for efflorescence.
Some of the more common areas pedestal systems are used include:
- Outdoor rooftop areas
- Outdoor podium areas
- Exhibition spaces
- Gardens and courtyards
- Swimming pool surrounds
- Balconies and verandahs
- Internal podium areas
- Internal pedestrian access floors
Where can I find pedestal systems?
Convinced that raised pedestal system is the most time and cost-effective solution for your flooring installation?
It just so happens that Envirospec is a major international supplier of PAVE-EL Pedestals. We have solutions for all scenarios, including adjustable height pedestals, self-levelling pedestals, sound-proofing pedestals, and weight load management.
As specialists in both pavers and pedestal installation systems, we offer both pedestal and full raised floor systems for pavers. We are also fully equipped to assist architects, designers, builders, and developers with their projects.
If you need any assistance for your project, simply reach out to our experts online or contact 1-877-508-9816. We would love to help you with your pavers and pedestal installations.